Thursday, July 7, 2011

Chicken Cacciatore


My Mom came up with this recipe, and over time I have made it into my own. It was my easy go-to meal when I was living by myself, the leftovers lasted for lunches almost all week, and it is a pretty healthy meal! I hope you enjoy!

~1 lb Chicken breast (boneless, skinless), in strips
1 medium onion (I always buy sweet yellow onions...), in rings or strips
1.5 (1-2 really) Bell peppers (I love to mix 1 green and 1 red, but only had green today), in strips
1 tsp Olive Oil
1 can Diced Tomatoes (mine were flavored with olive oil & garlic)
1/4-1/3 cup Tomato Sauce

Slice up the onion and bell pepper. Usually I leave the onion in rings, 
but cut it the wrong way and ended up with strips.

Cook the onion and bell pepper in a pan with oil on medium heat. Add in some salt, pepper, and oregano (sometimes I will experiment with other spices for new combinations, tonight I added Rosemary) to taste. 

When the onion starts to brown, remove from pan and set aside. 


Throw chicken into pan, season with salt & pepper, brown chicken on all sides, but don't worry about cooking completely through.

Add onion & bell pepper and then stir.
Top with the diced tomatoes and tomato sauce.

Cover and simmer on medium-low (around 4 is good on my stove) for 45 minutes, quickly stirring every 10 minutes or so.
Eat on its own (low carb!) or add in some pasta. 
Feel free to top with some Parmesan 
(we did tonight, but usually I don't add it).

The best part about this recipe is it is so simple, you can REALLY make it your own. I've used a can of Rotel (diced tomato & green chiles) for a Mexican flavor, it was delish!

No comments:

Post a Comment